Saturday 22 June 2013

Something deeper than the Ocean.




I'm an avid reader of books but lately I haven't read a single book that could completely catch my attention and suck me into the story in a way that I was reluctant to put the book away. That is why I was glad Neil Gaiman announced that a new book of his would be published soon. The Ocean at the end of the Lane it was called and early reviews were raving about it. I am a massive Neil Gaiman fan and I was dying to read it. Yesterday the book was finally delivered and I started reading it and immediately was sucked into the story.

I will not spoil it for you. I just want to say it is one of the most beautiful and haunting stories I have ever read. It's about childhood, it's about growing up and it's about fear and sacrifice. Whilst reading it I felt every emotion I could possibly feel. Gaiman is a master storyteller and has a way with words that enchant you in ways you did not think were possible.

I cried at times. I was afraid of going to sleep in the dark. I remembered what it was like being a little kid and looking up at the world in amazement, while when we grow up, we lose that magical touch. We lose the innocence. We realise that being an adult is not that great either, because adults also have fears and not everything that is fixed can be broken.

I read it in one go and I think I will re-read it soon. It has touched me and amazed me and I can definitely say that it is probably my new favourite book. If you like dark, haunting stories with a mysterious fantasy twist and you are not afraid of the dark, I strongly suggest you to read this. You will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.