Thursday 30 May 2013

Very short story: Before the fall

I had time to kill plus I haven't posted a short story in ages, so here you go. A very short story I wrote in a very short time. Hope you like it.


I remember the dream as clearly as I remember reality. The world was different in surrealism. More beautiful. Peaceful. Serene. Most importantly, you were still with me. When I woke up, my face was wet with tears and I found it hard to breathe, as if invisible hands were choking me.

“Please don’t go,” I whispered. Your ghastly hand let go of mine. You looked perfect in the realms of my imagination. Even more perfect than I remembered you. You smiled, your lips moving but the sound did not reach me. I thought you called out for me, telling me you’d be waiting.

 I got dressed and walked outside. The city was bleak and grey. It seems as though the moment you left me, all the joy and colour faded away. The red sky embraced me, tender in its touch. It reminded me so much of you and I realised I couldn’t live without your love. The memories still remain with me, as vivid as ever before. Yet it is strange to think that these memories are all that is left of you, as new memories won’t be made anymore.

 Loneliness is a bitter pill and time is a false friend. I could wait for years until I return to you, when my skin is wrinkly and parchment like, when my eyes are soulless and my heart is dead. I do not want to wait that long. I’m coming for you my dear. Wait for me.

 The night was young. The sky a deep black. I could feel the icy wind penetrating my clothes. It made me shiver. The moon was smiling at me. I could see your face in the stars. “Wait for me,” I whispered. I looked down one last time. Everything that I once dreamed, I dreamed in this city. It has been kind to me, but the time has come to say goodbye. I took a deep breath, let the air fill my lungs one last time. Then I jumped. I tumbled and tumbled. I could see you waiting for me with open arms, ready to catch me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.