Tuesday 21 May 2013

Equality.

Oh hey guys! I'm supposed to be working on a project for college, but honestly, it's giving me such a headache that I can't even bother thinking about it much for now.

However, there is one thing that I do feel the need to talk about. An issue which has been very present in the news lately. Equality. France, the UK, all had discussions about whether gay marriage should be legal or not. Bills had to be passed and lots of protest commenced. Those opposed to it were vocal about it and those in favour were just as eager to be heard. I read today that there was one person who committed suicide just because the bill was passed. It is insane and sick.

Call me biased, but I have a lot of friends who happen to fall in love with people of the same gender. I have never judged them based on their sexual orientation. I don't think it's strange or weird and I choose to spend time with these people because I like their personality. I appreciate them for the people they are and the fact that they share their bed with another man or woman is none of my business.

Let's be honest, most people who protest against equality are generally those who are brought up with the idea that homosexuality is bad. They believe that marriage is between a man and a woman as that is what was believed for centuries. Whatever reason these people have for their hatred is not completely justified as I doubt many of them deal with gay people on a regular basis, apart from bullying them. What I personally do not understand is why it is of any importance to a stranger what another stranger is doing behind closed doors. Many say that they are repulsed at the sight of two men kissing, but I have to be honest with you, if I see a man and a woman sticking their tongues in each other's throates, it does not necessarily boost my appetite either.

My point is, who are we as a society to decide for other people who they can or can't love? Who they can or can't spend the rest of their lives with? I don't care what any of my friends do with their lovers, gay or straight, as long as I am not forced to lie in between them. Still, when I walk hand in hand with a guy it is accepted and seen as something that is normal, yet when some of my friends want to do the same with the person they love, they are judged and maybe even laughed at. I just want my friends and any other individual in the world to be comfortable to express their love for another person regardless of their gender (unless you're a pedosexual. That is not cool).

I live in a reasonably tolerant country. We do like to advertise ourselves as very liberal when it comes to acceptance, and in comparison to other countries we probably are, yet also in my country there are still too many gay people bullied and sometimes even beaten up just because they love a person and a complete stranger doesn't agree with it.

We have a long way to go and in a world with different ideas and point-of-views it is unlikely that there will ever be true acceptance. We can still dream though. We can still believe that one day we will be able to look at each other and see our similarities instead of just our differences.We should celebrate love instead of creating fear around it. Because in the end, love will be the only thing that conquers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.