Saturday 21 September 2013

When love is just business

Good night my darlings!

I have just finished watching a documentary from Louis Theroux about a brothel somewhere in America. I find this a very interesting subject. I have noticed that a lot of men find it very normal to call a woman a 'whore' whenever they dress in a provocative way, or even if they refuse to do whatever the guy wants them to do. It happens, sadly. In reality there are so many women who do sell their bodies for cash and we usually pity them or think they have been dragged to the west by pimps wanting to make big bucks. Yes, these girls exist and there are too many of them. But there are also quite a lot of girls who are prostitutes voluntarily.

I have only been to the Red Light District in Amsterdam once. I felt that as a citizen of the Netherlands I should at least know what the hype is about. I felt very, very uncomfortable. It felt so impersonal. It was basically just a cattle market and the girls were the meat being examined by mostly filthy old men who were looking for some 'fun'. These girls looked miserable and it was evident from the look in their eyes; this is just business.
My friend and I were being yelled at by a guy who asked us to participate in their sex show. I was shocked. I wasn't used to being spoken to in such a way and I wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.

While watching this documentary, I realised that it wasn't all as bad as it is on the Red Lights Districts. This brothel actually is a safe place for these girls to work and make money. They are almost actresses, seducing willing men and making them believe in a fantasy. It's just business, but it's business in a safe place.
All these girls have their own stories and their own reasons for doing this work. And watching it brought me some sort of admiration for these girls because they are clever women who don't see this as something permanent but as a necessary evil. They know their boundaries.
I would never be able to be a 'working girl' as they call it. I guess I attach sex too much to love and I can't imagine getting intimate with anyone I don't fancy or at least have a connection with. Call me old-fashioned, but I can't see love and sex as two separate things.

Anyways, if you've got an hour to spare, here's the very interesting documentary:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.