Sunday 27 January 2013

Inspiring Person #2: Mika

I can hear all you non-Mika fan people who read this blog sigh in unison. But yes, I'm really going to talk about the next inspiring person. At least to me. I'm totally fine with it if you're inspired by Bear Gryllis. Or Sarah Palin *shudder*. Just so you know, I accept you for who you are. Unless you step on kittens. Then you're just cruel.

So, without further ado, this blog is about the one and the only:

One of the sweetest, craziest and funniest people I've ever met, I've been following his career since the beginning of 2007. I recall the first time I ever saw him. I was just a 15 year old girl, still so young and naive. Not to mention innocent. Don't forget the innocent part. Anyways, I was watching tv and a show was on, called Jensen. I wasn't really a big fan of the show. Sometimes he did have nice guests, but other times it was complete shit. Not this time. They played a preview of Grace Kelly and I was instantly intrigued. Then Mika came on, and well, the rest is pretty much history.

 

I instantly downloaded his songs and the next day, I went to the store to buy his album. Considering the fact that I was still quite young, I couldn't really travel to see him perform, and it wasn't until November 2007, when he performed in Amsterdam, that I saw him for the first time live. It was amazing. And I was completely sold. So much so, that I was merely 16 years of age when I skipped 2 days of school to go to London for a gig. It wasn't the best experience, but Mika was great.

First time I met him was in 2008. It had been raining all day, I looked like a drowned kitten, but luckily, we were taken inside a tent where he would come and say hello. And he kept talking to me. And I kept nodding. And then he noticed I was freezing to death and he exclaimed: "OMG you're freezing! Don't get sick please!" after which he told my friend to give me whiskey. It was the start of many attempts to get me drunk.

I owe so much to him. I've met amazing people thanks to him (and some who are not really that amazing. Crazy bitches and shit) and I've had some amazing experiences. This is a guy who allowed me on his stage more than once, even though he was fully aware that I did not quite blend in with the background.

I've been fortunate enough to meet him quite a few times and he has always been nothing but sweet and generous. And funny. And patient. He was even totally fine with the fact that whenever I saw the word bitch, it reminded me of him. In a positive way of course <3.

Apart from being a generous guy, he's a brilliant musician in the first place. Very much underrated by too many people. His songs are heartfelt, upbeat, but with more layers. His voice, especially live is fantastic.

The reason why he is most important to me, if because he showed me that it's okay to be yourself. You shouldn't give a fuck about others, because you can only be happy if you are who you are. Even if that means you're slightly weird. Even if that means you fall in love with whoever you fall in love with.

So thank you Mika for being fucking awesome.

 Yay for our synchronized hand movements!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.