Thursday 17 January 2013

Inspiring people #1: Katy Perry

So in this new installment, I will sometimes enlighten you with blogposts about people who I consider to be inspiring. Or whatever. Oh look a pink elephant!

First in this series is the one and only:

I first got to know about her back in April of 2008, when Myspace was still cool and she was still an unknown singer with an awesome song called Ur so Gay. We exchanged some messages back then and she told me she was going to conquer the world. A few months later, she did.
I became moderator on the KPF and followed her career ever since, including many failed attempts to see her live. The first time I did see her live was in March 2009 in Amsterdam. I really enjoyed the gig, but didn't get to meet her after unfortunately.
I tried to go to Cologne, but as we couldn't find the venue (hey, it was in some weird fucking place nobody ever heard of!) my dad (I was just 16 back then) decided to just drive back home. And I cried. Luckily, my dear Flori met her a week later and Katy told her she knew about it and gave her a chapstick to give me. Which made me happy.

Fast forward. 2 years later, Katy released Teenage Dream. And it exploded. She became the huge star I always knew she would be. She embarked on a world tour, called the California Dreams tour, and I was fortunate enough to meet her a couple of times. I can honestly say she is one of the funniest, most gorgeous and loveliest people I've ever met. The first time we met, in Brussels, I told her my name and she said: "Haven't we met before? I remember your name!" I told her I was supposed to be at many different places but never made it, and people always mentioned me, that was why. I was famous!
It was great seeing how much she evolved live. Compared to the Hello Katy tour, the California Dreams tour was massive and really one big show.

Last year, I got the chance to attend her film premiere in London. As I watched the crowd behind the barriers, screaming her name when she came out, I actually felt a bit proud. I know it's crazy. Some of my friends have met her many more times and are so much closer to her than I am. But it was wonderful to see someone whose career you've supported from when it was still in it's early stages, being cheered on by so many people. Also, I am not really a fan of those documentary kinda-films, but Part of Me was really inspiring, even when you're not a fan. Go see it. Now!

It is rumoured that she will release a new album this year. I do hope so. I really want to see how she has evolved as an artist and what kind of crazy things she comes up with for next tour. And hopefully I will get to meet her again, because she truly is an inspiring person.

First time meeting her. It was a bit awkward, but hey, we totz made up for the awkwardness the times after that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.