Thursday 24 October 2013

Let the light in: PRISM!

So, today I want to talk to you about an amazing event in the history of music. The release of PRISM by Katy Perry. Yes, I know, I'm biased, but if you want to listen to good music with a message, this is the cd you need.
Katy is huge. After Teenage Dream everybody wondered if she could top herself. And she did. Prism is a commercial success already. Reviews are not all positive, but then again, what do music critics know? Music is about the feeling it brings across so all those technical terms blabla are not important.

I read a review which said that Prism contains too many poetic lyrics and Katy couldn't pull this off. I beg to differ. In today's day and age we are used to mindless pop music about sex and partying. We are scared off by songs with actual meaning and lyrics which speak to us and confront us with our own lives. Katy and her team of writers have written some wonderful lyrics which have actual meaning. They speak from the heart. Some of the songs are about her relationship with Russell Brand, and I find that those touch me the most because they appear so sincere. Especially By The Grace Of God and Ghost are beautiful in that sense.

Of course, not all the songs are deep. Birthday, This is how we do and International Smile are rather superficial but there's nothing wrong with that. As long as it's not a complete album filled with mindless tracks, it's all good.

I love Prism. I don't equally love every song as much. I find myself skipping International Smile and Birthday at times but that's just because they don't appeal to me as much. It's all a matter of taste. I think Prism shows Katy's evolution as an artist and as a person even more so than Teenage Dream did. I know some fans want the One Of The Boys era back, but honestly, pop is what Katy does best and I'm excited to see what the future will bring for her.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.